Skip to main content

c+o+n+n+e+c+t

I am currently reading The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay. It puts into words so many things I have been thinking about in the past year or two. That church is so much more than a weekly meeting or two. That the lack of enthusiasm people have for church and religion has very little to do with the life-changing adventure of following Jesus. That every aspect of life can be relational (connecting with God and with others) if I look for it. That Church was never meant to "happen" behind closed doors. That helping others (not just watching out for my own interests) is much easier and natural than I thought, yet much more challenging than is comfortable.

This summer, I have been trying to get better at connecting with people outside of my immediate circle of friends (read "comfort zone"). Once a week or so, I make a point of calling someone up that I would not normally hang out with and inviting them to go for a drink. They might be people I have not seen for awhile. They might be people I don't really know, but have seen around. They might be people I keep thinking about for some reason. They might be people that have approached me in the past, and I never gave them much time. They might be a random person that I strike up a conversation with.

Without fail, all of these encounters have been interesting, fun, and as far as I can tell, meaningful and encouraging for both of us. Sometimes they start a bit awkwardly, but as soon as I let my guard down, so do they. Let's face it. Everyone can use a friend, a listening buddy, and someone to let them know that they are valuable enough to have an hour or two devoted to them.

And last week, I found someone who has lived with these ideas much longer than I have, and he says it much more clearly than I could. Here's Hugh:

There are 4 things that Mr. Halter suggests should be part of a life that seeks to connect well (with God and others):

1. Leaving: get out there. Go where people are. Invite people not only to participate in your life, but express interest in theirs. A few examples are: 1) let people live with you for extended periods of time. 2) have dinner with people (not just the usual friends). 3) do what you love with others (invite someone you are just getting to know along on a bike ride). 4) go out of your way to build relationships (walk over and say hi, don't just hurry along on the way to your next appointment, and hey, maybe leave early to allow time for these connections). 5) look for chances to talk (neighbours and mailmen and bank tellers and waitresses need friends, too). Oh and by the way...selfishness is the enemy of "leaving."

2. Listening: let people tell their story. Make space for them in your life and day. Don't feel the need to offer advice or relate it back to yourself. Watch and listen and let people reveal themselves to you. It is a gift most people only give to the patient, loving, and trustworthy. You know what? Arrogance is the enemy of "listening."

3. Living Among: If we are incarnational people (that means letting Jesus live in us), we will develop the habit of living among. We participate in the natural activities of the culture around us with whimsical holiness. We are at home with people of all walks of life and don't try to separate ourselves from certain types of folks. Jesus really knew how to do this. The religious of the day felt uncomfortable around him, but the sick and needy and people with issues didn't. He came to their homes, he ate with them, and he hung out in public places with them. You guessed it: fear is the enemy of "living among."

4. Loving without strings: people can tell if we are just trying to get them to sign up for something or take them on as an improvement project. I need to become comfortable with receiving unconditional love (from God), and then get good at giving it out. Love is the most attractive force in the world. And wouldn't you know it: having expectations is the enemy of loving.

One nice quote from Hugh to end it all off: I've concluded that, almost without exception, relationships are formed, important dialogue and conversation begin, and powerful moments of ministry occur during spontaneous, unplanned moments while we are sharing our lives together. In many cases, these events occurred when I didn't want to be some place or have someone with me. Over time, I have learned that "interruptions" are the very place where I look for God to work. It's almost as if God creates interruptions as his last attempt to get me out of my own life. - Hugh Halter

These 4 points and the ending quote shamelessly ripped (with paraphrasing by Matte) from the pages of The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2008.

This is a photo from the Mardi Gras parade in Montreal thus summer. Who wants to be a knight in shining armour?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator