Skip to main content

handling time

I am one of those fortunate people who does not work a 9-5 job. Though I did trek off to a 35-40 hour work week for many years, at some point I realised that I do much better outside of the grind. Not financially, at least not yet, but in every other way, I thrive in a self-directed environment. I suppose many creative people do. As great as it sounds, managing your own schedule can be much more challenging than the 9 - 5 scene. The possibilities are endless, but in direct proportion, so are the opportunities to squander your precious resources, especially time.

This lifestyle is not for everyone, but here are a few things I have found helpful over the years. I don't get it right every day, but I am getting better at it.

1. Know your values. At the end of the day or the week, what use of your time will leave you content and satisfied, filled with a sense of purpose and gratitude? Make sure those things find priority on your schedule, along with all the necessary tasks of life.

2. Think like a boss. Be an employee. The employee in me and the boss in me have regular meetings. The boss decides what projects or accomplishments are important. Together we set reasonable goals for each day that will lead to their completion. If something unexpected comes up, the employee is free to juggle her schedule as long as she assures the boss that all tasks will still get done by the end of the week. The boss is flexible, but firm. She agrees to let the employee take the afternoon off to play in the park on a sunny day because the employee has negotiated to complete her work after sundown, even if it means staying up a little late. The boss and the employee work together to create situations where both of them are happy with the results.

3. Last minute is bad. Leaving things till the last minute invites disaster. I usually schedule tasks to be completed a week or so before they are due. That way I am seldom rushed, stressed, or caught off-guard. My creativity does not flourish under pressure and many things take longer than I think they will. This breathing room leaves time for me to double-check things, embrace unexpected situations, and avoid freaking out if I get stuck.

4. Don't multi-task. It is counter-productive. Some people may be good at this, but I am not one of them. Trying to multi-task just compromises the quality of everything I am trying to do. When I concentrate on one thing at a time, I can give it all my energy and focus; I am, in fact, more efficient and generous with my resources when I am fully present, even if only for a short time. One of the worst things I have done is try to mix people encounters with administrative tasks (like typing an email while talking to someone on the phone). The person can tell that my attention is divided and our interaction suffers greatly, even if I am not aware of it. Multi-tasking can, in fact, be rude and unloving sometimes. My desire is to be the best single-tasker ever, being fully present and engaged in whatever I find myself involved in.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. - Ecclesiastes 9 (Amplified)

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters. - Colossians 3 (Today's NIV)

This is a picture of my friend making apple pear crisp. Mmmmmmm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

what binds us together?

For the past few weeks, I have been reading a book by famed psychiatrist M. Scott Peck which chronicles his travels (together with his wife) through remote parts of the UK in search of prehistoric stones. The book is part travel journal, part spiritual musings, part psychology, and part personal anecdotes. A mixed bag, to be sure, and not always a winning combination. At one point, I considered putting the book aside, not finishing it, but then Peck started writing about community. He is no stranger to the concept. He has led hundreds of community-building workshops over the years, helped start a non-profit organisation dedicated to fostering community, and written a compelling book about the topic, one which greatly impacted me when I read it oh so long ago.[1]

In preparation for a course I am teaching next year, I have been doing quite a bit of study on unity and community. Once you start thinking about it, you see and hear evidence of it everywhere. (See my blog on the impact of b…

job hunting

I am on the hunt for a job. PhD in hand, I am a theologian for hire. The thing is, not a lot of places are hiring theologians these days, and if they are, they are usually looking for scholars with skills and experience outside my area of expertise. Today I found job opportunities for those knowledgeable in Religion, Race, and Colonialism, Philosophy and History of Religion, Islam and Society, Languages of Late Antiquity, Religion, Ethics, and Politics, and an ad for a Molecular Genetic Pathologist. Not one posting for a Dramatic Theologian with  a side order of Spirituality and a dash of Methodology.

I know, I know. My expectations are a bit unrealistic if I believe I will find an exact match for my particular skills. I know that job descriptions are wish lists to some extent, so no candidate is ever a perfect match. I also realize that one must adapt one's skill set according to the requirements of the job and be flexible. But there are so few jobs which come within ten or even…

building the church

Imagine two scenarios: 1) Give every person in the room a popsicle stick. Ask them to come together and put their sticks onto a table. Invariably, you end up with a random pile of sticks on a table. 2) Give every person in the room a popsicle stick. Show a picture of a popsicle stick bird feeder and ask people to come together and put their sticks on a table according to the picture. You will end up with the beginnings of a bird feeder on a table.

What is the difference between the two scenarios? In both, each person brought what they had and contributed it to the collective. However, in the first scenario, there were no guidelines, no plan, and no right or wrong way to pile the sticks. People came, placed their sticks on the table, and walked away. In the second scenario, people were given a plan to follow and as a result, something specific was built. Instead of walking away after they made their contribution, people huddled around the table to watch what was being built. Some were…