Skip to main content

why I have a cat...

Some people wonder why I still have a cat. Jazz in particular. She has a reputation of not-so-nice behaviour. She attacks people, she tries to intimidate and dominate, she can be anti-social, she often tries to escape, and she is always ready for a fight. Plus, she has allergies and bad eyesight. Frankly, I don't think anyone else would have her. She is not a pet for the faint of heart. And that's one of the reasons I like having her around: she demands a courageous master.

Since I was a young girl growing up on the farm, I have always had a great affection for cats. Yes, I was the cat whisperer. I could tame the wildest feline with patience, love, and consistency. I learned how to read them by spending hours watching them and playing with them. I received a lot of scratches in the process, but I also gained a lot of insight. Every life situation is a learning situation, and those things we are particularly fond of can touch us and teach us in particularly significant and profound ways if we let them.

I won't regale you with all my cat knowledge here, like how to gain their trust, how to know if they are angry, content, playing, or sick, how to approach a cat properly, how to react to aggressive behaviour, what it means when they flick their tail, what their favourite sitting and sleeping locations mean, and on and on. Perhaps one day I will develop a set of DVD's on how to relate to cats and make my fortune, but not today. What I will offer are two of the ongoing reminders that I receive from being a cat owner:

1. I sometimes forget that I am not my own master. I am a lot like my cat. I do not like to be tamed. I resist being told what to do and when to do it. I don't like to be disturbed from a deep sleep. Sometimes I would rather escape the confines of a restrictive environment than have to learn the hard lessons of obedience, submission, and loving interaction. When I feel abandoned, displaced, threatened, or imposed upon, I have been known to lash out. I sometimes show anger instead of humility. I want all my needs to be taken care of but don't want it to cost me anything. When things get scary, I hide, or make a lot of distressing noises, but don't always stop to think why. I want to belong, be safe, and be loved, but sometimes sabotage those very things by my anti-social behaviour. However, if I trust someone, I will show them my most vulnerable parts. I will wait patiently for my friends. I will sit with them when they are going through a bad time. I love to keep them company when they are working. I can be a very faithful companion, present yet undemanding. My gift is being there, always being there.

2. I can be a courageous leader. Having a cat with dominance issues has forced me to be a stronger leader. I know I have the ability to develop an atmosphere of trust, and this is my starting point. I am learning that I can be patient, loving, and humble while still commanding respect. By listening and understanding, I can learn how to react wisely to bad behaviour. I can train others to excel and help them overcome their fears. I am not helpless and need to remember that I can always improve a situation. I have the ability to set the tone, especially in my areas of authority. In fact, it is my responsibility to do just that. If I am afraid of getting hurt, I will flinch when I need to be strong, and this is the sign of a fearful and hesitant leader. Instead, I must be ready to suffer discomfort and work through conflict in order to bring comfort and resolution into situations. Being passive is not an option. I must be engaged. I must be aware. I must be actively listening and looking. And when the right time comes, I must leap into action with confidence.

Most days, I really like having Jazz in my life. It is never boring. This is a photo of her during an afternoon nap. She is seldom caught offguard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator