Skip to main content

thank you A-Z

Just for fun, I thought I would name 26 things I am thankful for today, alphabetically, of course.

A - air. I like having plenty of it all around me all the time. Cool stuff!
B - breathing. It happens all day and all night without supervision, keeping me alive.
C - clothes. I have clean clothes to wear every morning, and most of them look good on me.
D - dreams. Awake or asleep, I love thinking about things that are bigger than me.
E - exercise. My body was made to move! I love to walk and run and jump.
F - feet. They take me lots of places every day, what would I do without them?
G - gas. I just ate fresh pineapple followed by cream of carrot soup. Bad mix, but nothing that a good belch didn't fix!
H - hair. It covers my pointy head and gives me a reason to buy nice smelling shampoo.
I - iced coffee. I had a medium one from Tim Hortons on this hot and sunny day...mmmmm!
J - Jazz the cat. She follows me around and purrs loudly when I pet her. Nice to come home to.
K - Karen my osteopath. My back was hurting pretty bad after I fell down the stairs a few weeks ago and she did me right. I didn't even think about my back today!
L - love. I would be a mess without it.
M - me. I like what God put in me.
N - names. How would I know what to call people if they didn't have names?
O - outside. I like being able to go outside without putting on a jacket.
P - pockets. They hold cell phones and kleenexes and important notes.
Q - quiet. I like to think and read and write in the quiet.
R - roof. It keeps me dry during the rain and in the shade on a hot day.
S - sweat. Just a little something to keep the body cool on a summer day.
T - transportation. The bus and the subway get me all around town. I love it!
U - up. Can you imagine a world without up? It inspires me and keeps me humble.
V - voice. I love to sing and talk to people. That way they don't have to read my mind.
W - washing. Almost anything can be fixed by washing it.
X - one of the letters in a very nice email someone wrote to me today.
Y - yawn. How else do you know when to go to bed?
Z - zillions of blades of grass which make the earth fun to walk on.

Try it yourself if you like. This is the harbour at Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim...

what's on your breastplate?

Who wants to be a priest? I asked this question in my faith community this past Sunday and a few eager hands went up. But there were also looks of puzzlement. Perhaps some people were thinking, "Maybe, but what exactly does a priest do?" I am so glad you asked. The first mention of a priest in the Scriptures is Melchizedek in Genesis 14. Abram has just rescued Lot and his household from capture (they got caught in a war between rivalling kings), and when he returns, he is greeted by the grateful king of Sodom and a priest. “And King Melchizedek of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was priest of God Most High. He blessed him and said, ‘Blessed be Abram by God Most High, maker of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!’” (Genesis 14:18-20, NRSV) So what does this tell us about what it means to be a priest? First, this priest was also a king. Subsequent priests were not kings, so this double role was unique to...

Esther's protest

I have been hesitant to write anything here pertaining to the student protests in Montreal, partly because I didn't believe I had any solutions to offer and partly because I just wanted to stay out of the controversial mess it has become.  Besides, I have studying to do.  But this weekend, something changed.  I read the book of Esther. First, some background:  the unrest started early in the year when a group of students decided to protest the tuition hikes proposed by the Quebec government ($325 a year for the next 5 years).  Seeing that tuition rates have been frozen for almost ten years, it seemed reasonable to the government to increase them to reflect rising costs.  This did not sit well with some students, and they organised an ongoing protest in which students were encouraged to boycott classes and refuse to hand in assignments.  It has now grown into a movement which has staged several organise...