Skip to main content

england part one

I got back from my trip to England yesterday around noon. It was a fabulous 8 days filled with new sights and foods and adventures, and lots of very precious people encountered along the way. The reason for going to London was to attend a friend's wedding, after which we were taking 5 days to see other friends and a bit of the country.

It started off not looking so good when I arrived at Heathrow just before noon last Friday after an all-night flight and heard my name paged in the luggage area. A nice man informed me that my bag had missed my first flight to Halifax and had then been sent to Toronto where the weather was not so good. He hoped that it would arrive the next day. Okay. There was nothing I could do about that, so I headed off to my hotel, checked in, and then jumped on the tube to spend the day seeing the sights in downtown London. I came back to the hotel later that evening to have dinner with a friend and my bag was still nowhere in sight. The next morning I checked with the airline and they said the bag had arrived and was with the courier. I could expect it in a few hours. Since I was leaving for the wedding in 2 hours, I hoped and prayed that it would be sooner than that, but when our ride arrived at noon, my bag and Dean (who flew in a day after I did) were still missing.

Thankfully, Dean arrived 20 minutes later, fresh off the plane and already in his suit (we had only packed one piece of luggage between the two of us and I had taken it) . My bag, however, with my dress, shoes, make-up, contact lenses, deodorant, toothbrush, comb, and two wedding gifts, never did make it in time. It showed up at the hotel 27 hours after I touched down and while we were at the reception.

But the important thing was that we were there, so I spritzed on some Celine Dion perfume which Rachel, our friendly driver and friend of the bride, had with her and off we went. No one seemed to even notice that I was in jeans and a black t-shirt amidst all the dresses and a few hats. The wedding was informal and relaxed and we were made to feel right at home even though we only knew two other people there. We hugged people and witnessed the ceremony and talked and laughed and took pictures and ate lots of English food (first time I tried clotted cream) and met cool people and danced to a great jazz band and then found our back to the hotel via the train and bus thanks to Tammy from South Africa. It was a very full and fun day - a great beginning to our week in England.

I have never been so glad to brush my teeth as I was that night, and clean clothes have never brought a sigh of delight from my lips like they did the next morning. I managed to mail the wedding gifts on Monday from a post office a block from our hotel downtown. All things came out well. I realised that people are more gracious than I give them credit for, and that I am still too preoccupied with what I look like and compare myself too much with others. I also get freaked out about things that don't really matter to anyone else but me. This wedding experience was a wonderful gift to me, as I hope our presence was a gift to Matthew and Emily.

This is St. John's Church in Egham where the wedding took place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim...

what's on your breastplate?

Who wants to be a priest? I asked this question in my faith community this past Sunday and a few eager hands went up. But there were also looks of puzzlement. Perhaps some people were thinking, "Maybe, but what exactly does a priest do?" I am so glad you asked. The first mention of a priest in the Scriptures is Melchizedek in Genesis 14. Abram has just rescued Lot and his household from capture (they got caught in a war between rivalling kings), and when he returns, he is greeted by the grateful king of Sodom and a priest. “And King Melchizedek of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was priest of God Most High. He blessed him and said, ‘Blessed be Abram by God Most High, maker of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!’” (Genesis 14:18-20, NRSV) So what does this tell us about what it means to be a priest? First, this priest was also a king. Subsequent priests were not kings, so this double role was unique to...

Esther's protest

I have been hesitant to write anything here pertaining to the student protests in Montreal, partly because I didn't believe I had any solutions to offer and partly because I just wanted to stay out of the controversial mess it has become.  Besides, I have studying to do.  But this weekend, something changed.  I read the book of Esther. First, some background:  the unrest started early in the year when a group of students decided to protest the tuition hikes proposed by the Quebec government ($325 a year for the next 5 years).  Seeing that tuition rates have been frozen for almost ten years, it seemed reasonable to the government to increase them to reflect rising costs.  This did not sit well with some students, and they organised an ongoing protest in which students were encouraged to boycott classes and refuse to hand in assignments.  It has now grown into a movement which has staged several organise...