Skip to main content

england part one

I got back from my trip to England yesterday around noon. It was a fabulous 8 days filled with new sights and foods and adventures, and lots of very precious people encountered along the way. The reason for going to London was to attend a friend's wedding, after which we were taking 5 days to see other friends and a bit of the country.

It started off not looking so good when I arrived at Heathrow just before noon last Friday after an all-night flight and heard my name paged in the luggage area. A nice man informed me that my bag had missed my first flight to Halifax and had then been sent to Toronto where the weather was not so good. He hoped that it would arrive the next day. Okay. There was nothing I could do about that, so I headed off to my hotel, checked in, and then jumped on the tube to spend the day seeing the sights in downtown London. I came back to the hotel later that evening to have dinner with a friend and my bag was still nowhere in sight. The next morning I checked with the airline and they said the bag had arrived and was with the courier. I could expect it in a few hours. Since I was leaving for the wedding in 2 hours, I hoped and prayed that it would be sooner than that, but when our ride arrived at noon, my bag and Dean (who flew in a day after I did) were still missing.

Thankfully, Dean arrived 20 minutes later, fresh off the plane and already in his suit (we had only packed one piece of luggage between the two of us and I had taken it) . My bag, however, with my dress, shoes, make-up, contact lenses, deodorant, toothbrush, comb, and two wedding gifts, never did make it in time. It showed up at the hotel 27 hours after I touched down and while we were at the reception.

But the important thing was that we were there, so I spritzed on some Celine Dion perfume which Rachel, our friendly driver and friend of the bride, had with her and off we went. No one seemed to even notice that I was in jeans and a black t-shirt amidst all the dresses and a few hats. The wedding was informal and relaxed and we were made to feel right at home even though we only knew two other people there. We hugged people and witnessed the ceremony and talked and laughed and took pictures and ate lots of English food (first time I tried clotted cream) and met cool people and danced to a great jazz band and then found our back to the hotel via the train and bus thanks to Tammy from South Africa. It was a very full and fun day - a great beginning to our week in England.

I have never been so glad to brush my teeth as I was that night, and clean clothes have never brought a sigh of delight from my lips like they did the next morning. I managed to mail the wedding gifts on Monday from a post office a block from our hotel downtown. All things came out well. I realised that people are more gracious than I give them credit for, and that I am still too preoccupied with what I look like and compare myself too much with others. I also get freaked out about things that don't really matter to anyone else but me. This wedding experience was a wonderful gift to me, as I hope our presence was a gift to Matthew and Emily.

This is St. John's Church in Egham where the wedding took place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

what binds us together?

For the past few weeks, I have been reading a book by famed psychiatrist M. Scott Peck which chronicles his travels (together with his wife) through remote parts of the UK in search of prehistoric stones. The book is part travel journal, part spiritual musings, part psychology, and part personal anecdotes. A mixed bag, to be sure, and not always a winning combination. At one point, I considered putting the book aside, not finishing it, but then Peck started writing about community. He is no stranger to the concept. He has led hundreds of community-building workshops over the years, helped start a non-profit organisation dedicated to fostering community, and written a compelling book about the topic, one which greatly impacted me when I read it oh so long ago.[1]

In preparation for a course I am teaching next year, I have been doing quite a bit of study on unity and community. Once you start thinking about it, you see and hear evidence of it everywhere. (See my blog on the impact of b…

job hunting

I am on the hunt for a job. PhD in hand, I am a theologian for hire. The thing is, not a lot of places are hiring theologians these days, and if they are, they are usually looking for scholars with skills and experience outside my area of expertise. Today I found job opportunities for those knowledgeable in Religion, Race, and Colonialism, Philosophy and History of Religion, Islam and Society, Languages of Late Antiquity, Religion, Ethics, and Politics, and an ad for a Molecular Genetic Pathologist. Not one posting for a Dramatic Theologian with  a side order of Spirituality and a dash of Methodology.

I know, I know. My expectations are a bit unrealistic if I believe I will find an exact match for my particular skills. I know that job descriptions are wish lists to some extent, so no candidate is ever a perfect match. I also realize that one must adapt one's skill set according to the requirements of the job and be flexible. But there are so few jobs which come within ten or even…

building the church

Imagine two scenarios: 1) Give every person in the room a popsicle stick. Ask them to come together and put their sticks onto a table. Invariably, you end up with a random pile of sticks on a table. 2) Give every person in the room a popsicle stick. Show a picture of a popsicle stick bird feeder and ask people to come together and put their sticks on a table according to the picture. You will end up with the beginnings of a bird feeder on a table.

What is the difference between the two scenarios? In both, each person brought what they had and contributed it to the collective. However, in the first scenario, there were no guidelines, no plan, and no right or wrong way to pile the sticks. People came, placed their sticks on the table, and walked away. In the second scenario, people were given a plan to follow and as a result, something specific was built. Instead of walking away after they made their contribution, people huddled around the table to watch what was being built. Some were…