Skip to main content

You are the branches

Image from evineyardapp.com


Last week I was reading the beginning of John 15 again. Here, Jesus employs the metaphor of a vineyard to describe the divine/human relationship.

Jesus: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vineyard keeper. He removes any of my branches that don’t produce fruit, and he trims any branch that produces fruit so that it will produce even more fruit. You are already trimmed because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. A branch can’t produce fruit by itself, but must remain in the vine. Likewise, you can’t produce fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, then you will produce much fruit. Without me, you can’t do anything. If you don’t remain in me, you will be like a branch that is thrown out and dries up. Those branches are gathered up, thrown into a fire, and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified when you produce much fruit and in this way prove that you are my disciples." (John 15:1-8, Common English Bible)

This is a popular passage, so I have heard many interpretations of it. Some emphasize the theme of abiding, equating this with consistent devotional times and church attendance. Others focus on pruning, framing hardship as a necessary discipline. For others, it is a warning against the fires of hell. Producing fruit is another theme, sometimes employed to fuel an evangelistic thrust. None of these applications strikes me as particularly compelling, mostly because they are not in keeping with an agrarian metaphor. 

But I want to focus on the bit where Jesus says, "Ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you." Some claim it is a promise that we, as beloved children of God, will receive whatever we ask for because we are connected to a generous and loving heavenly Father. Others infer that the promise is conditional on abiding, so unfulfilled requests are a sign of distance from God. Neither of these interpretations lines up with the Jesus I know. So what are we to make of such a carte blanche statement: "whatever you want?" I don't believe that any follower of Christ has ever had all their wants fulfilled. In fact, not even Jesus had all his desires come to fruition (see Matt. 23:37, Matt. 26:39). And he was more connected to God, was abiding more fully, than any of us. 

Perhaps part of the problem is that we tend to pull this sentence out of the metaphor, so let's go back to the imagery of the vineyard. Jesus is the vine. We are the branches. Whatever branches ask of the vine they are connected to, it will be done for them. So what do branches ask for? What do branches want? Not fancy cars or fat bank accounts or a life of ease and comfort. Not bigger churches or more influence or even showy miracles.  

Branches want good soil and sunshine and rain. Branches want the nutrients that flow from the vine. Branches want a supporting structure so they have better access to sunlight and air. They want neighbouring branches which won't compete for resources but grow alongside them. Branches want to produce sweet, juicy fruit in the appropriate season. Branches want someone to pick their fruit and enjoy it (not hold onto it until it rots and falls to the ground). Branches also want to winter well, able to withstand times of cold and dormancy because they are connected to deep roots.

The desires of branches are rather simple and organic, related to life and its seasons. They don't want unchecked growth or a harvest that never ends. They want to be part of a living, healthy vineyard which produces sweet fruit in its season, fruit which is not for them but for the hungry and thirsty. And I don't know any vine which would deny a branch that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator