Skip to main content

tyrant


I have been reading An Unquenchable Thirst by Mary Johnson, which is a memoir of her 20 years as a sister in the Missionaries of Charity (the order founded by Mother Teresa).  Like all monastic orders, the MC's have a Rule which governs the life of those dedicated to its mission, and this Rule is based on vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience.   Poverty can mean anything from no curtains to changing where you sleep every month.  At the heart of this vow is Mother Teresa's insistence that one not forget the poor.  Chastity is interpreted as not touching another person, avoiding particular friendships, and embracing virginity.  Here, the primacy is put on intimacy with Jesus instead of with another person.  Obedience means that the voice of your superior is the voice of God; this is meant to teach submission to the Absolute.  As Mother Teresa often says, "Let God use you without consulting you."

Rules are funny things.  While they are meant to convey the practical application of a whole-hearted motivation, they can easily become a substitute for the larger, more generous concept behind them.   One of the stories in the book relates how, in her later years, Mother Teresa repeatedly requested to step down as General Superior of MC due to her diminishing energy and health issues (3 heart attacks).  Despite her insistence that another person be found to fill the position, the council continued to elect her as their overseer.  Johnson tells how at lunch one day, when she was recounting an anecdote to Mother Teresa in which Johnson's grandfather suggested that the aging nun should take a rest, Mother Teresa responded with an exasperated, "I can't!  It's the will of God!"  Because the council had elected her, she was bound to obedience, no matter what toll it took on her health.  Alas, Mother T found herself caught in the Rule, unable to break free from a task she was increasingly unable to perform. The Rule had become a tyrant instead of a servant.

The same thing can (and has) happen in my life.  I have at times been so dedicated to the rule of truth (believing the right thing) that I have sacrificed the dignity of others and thrown love under the bus.  Truth became a Rule instead of a Person invested in the freedom of others.  I have also been known to be so focused on the rule of responsible living (being a faithful person) that I have ignored the needs of others and registered disappointment in those who don't share my values.  Faithfulness is a response to the Faithful One, not a whip-cracking, whistle-blowing tyrant.  I have also used my level of sacrifice as a standard (rule) with which to measure others, expecting them to get in line and do likewise.  Generosity will never grow by demanding or even stealing sacrifices from others.

Jesus said that he didn't come to negate the Law (Rule), but to fulfill it.  That means we don't throw chastity, poverty, and obedience out the window.  Truth, faithfulness, and sacrifice are cherished values to God, however, the Rule must never be given the status of tyrant, pulling our strings like puppets, regardless of the state of our heart.  Any rule that is meant to serve a bigger purpose must always give way to the bigger purpose when it needs to.  All through the scriptures, we see God's mercy triumphing over judgment and Jesus offering forgiveness to unfaithful rule-keepers.  Holiness is not found in a Rule.  It is found in the presence of Jesus.  Where God is, there is holiness.

Jesus fulfills the Law by embodying all the purposes of the Law.  He is Love embodied, he is Sacrifice embodied, he is Truth embodied, he is Life in communion with God embodied.  He is the three-dimensional, perpetual model of what it looks like to belong to God.  And two-dimensional Law must bow before his personification of that intention.  Not the other way around. 

the photo:  Sheriff''s office in Pioneertown, California.  Closed.

Comments

Shelley said…
yes. and as you say, this is trickier than it sounds, isn't it. I like consistency and knowing where things lie - this makes me want rules to win the day. That way I can just blindly follow. Jesus managed to always focus on the spirit of the law - it's purpose as you say. Living like that takes thoughtful consideration, not just blind obedience and enforcement!
This book has a lot to think about in it, doesn't it!?
Matte Downey said…
It was a very well-written, honest, courageous, and intriguing account of Johnson's experience. I found myself staying up late just to get another chapter in! It does raise a lot of good questions about why we do what we do, and how the "appearance of obedience" or "appearance of poverty" can sometimes viewed as more important than the real thing - a tendency almost any relgious tradition is bound to struggle with. Missionaries of Charity and Mother Teresa are just human, after all.

I was also impressed with how she told the story with restraint, never seeking to dishonour anyone, but adamant about speaking the truth, which she believes is more powerful than painting someone or something to be almost perfect.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Shelley said…
Exactly what I liked about it too. You are welcome! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Names of God

The Hebrew word "YHWH" (read from right to left) This past Sunday I gave a talk on the Names of God, the beginning of a series on this topic. This first talk was to be a gentle introduction so I thought it wouldn't take too many hours of preparation. Well, I quickly discovered that the research is almost bottomless; every time I thought I had a somewhat definitive list of names, I found another source which added a few more or gave a different twist on some of the names I had already come across. After several hours I was getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of data (and that was only looking at the Hebrew Bible). I wondered how I could present this to people in an orderly and accessible fashion and within a reasonable time frame. Not everyone is up for a 3-hour lecture crammed full of detail on a Sunday morning. So I took a break and spent a bit of time meditating on this problem and asking the Spirit for guidance. And then I thought that being overwhelmed by Go

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim

soul refrigerator

I went grocery shopping yesterday and came home with three bags of food. After I unpacked them all, this is what my fridge looked like: really empty. How does that happen? How can I feel so full and ready for any food emergency one moment, and after one quick glance, realise that I have nothing, really? Today is one of those days in my soul as well. I woke up with gratitude and fullness in my heart, ready to take on this day and all the wonderful opportunities that it presented. Then I caught a brief glance of some emptiness in my life and bam - my buoyancy was compromised. For the past few hours I have been treading water, trying to keep my head in a positive space, bobbing in and out of disappointment, and catching myself whining with pathetic indignity at the cement blocks of other people's stupidity that are tangled around my ankles. When I am staring at the empty refrigerator of my soul, these are my thoughts. Where do I go from here? Perhaps I should slam that refrigerator