Skip to main content

sacrifice

Dean is back on this continent again. Yes! I picked him up from the airport this afternoon and he was in good spirits despite having had very little sleep in the past 5 days due to overnight flights and time zone changes and mondo meetings at his trade show. It was no surprise that after we had a chance to talk and smooch, he grabbed a quick bite to eat and then spent most of the evening on the couch sleeping. A friend of mine just called and asked if we were attending a party a mutual friend of ours was having tonight. I responded in the negative, citing Dean's recent return and his exhaustion. Sigh. I would like to be at the party. Sometimes sacrifice sucks.

Really, sacrifice sucks all the time. That's why they call it sacrifice. No one goes, "Woohoo, let's get our sacrifice on!" I have never heard, "I don't have enough sacrifice in my life." Who would ever say, "I would like to pursue a career in sacrifice?" And yet, sacrifice is part of our lives. We cannot do or have everything, so we have to choose which sacrifices we will make. Any relationship requires a lot of sacrifice if it is going to flourish and grow. Most days those sacrifices are easy, especially the big ones, because they are so obviously noble and right and we are doing it for someone we love. It is the little sacrifices that sometimes wear on me, like going to a restaurant or a movie that my mate prefers. Like adjusting my plans to someone elses. Like staying home instead of going out tonight.

At times like this when I am tempted to focus on the inconvenience and annoyance of it all, I remember the sacrifices that have been made for me. The trip to Cuba that we took in February was our third escape to the Caribbean. Dean has a hyper sensitivity to the sun and easily gets overheated. He actually breaks out in hives when he is in a hot climate for too long and therefore spends every afternoon in the air-conditioned rooms at these resorts while I lounge on the beach or at the pool. I recently asked him why we went to a sunny, hot location for our vacation when he might be more comfortable in a cooler locale. He said it was because he knew how much I loved the beach and the warmth. Wow! He did break out in hives on our last day in Cuba, but he never complained, just asked me to get him another pina colada with lots of ice.

So really, spending a quiet evening at home listening to my husband's deep breathing in the next room while I blog is not a bad way to spend a Saturday night after all.

This is the beach at Cayo Santa Maria at sunrise.

Comments

Shelley said…
Everything worth something, costs something.

sometimes I have to say this to myself like a mantra.

nice post.

Popular posts from this blog

comedic timing

Comic by Joel Micah Harris at xkcd.com One of my favourite jokes goes like this: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow Interrupting cow w--- Moooooooo!! Timing is important in both drama and comedy. A well-paced story draws the audience in and helps it invest in the characters, while a tale too hastily told or too long drawn out will fail to engage anyone. Surprise - something which interrupts the expected - is a creative use of timing and integral to any good story. If someone is reading a novel and everything unfolds in a predictable manner, they will probably wonder why they bothered reading the book. And so it is in life. Having life be predictable all of the time is not as calming as it sounds. We love surprises, especially good surprises like birthday parties, gifts, marriage proposals, and finding something that we thought was lost. Surprises are an important part of humour. A good joke is funny because it goes to a place you didn't expect it to go. Sim...

what's on your breastplate?

Who wants to be a priest? I asked this question in my faith community this past Sunday and a few eager hands went up. But there were also looks of puzzlement. Perhaps some people were thinking, "Maybe, but what exactly does a priest do?" I am so glad you asked. The first mention of a priest in the Scriptures is Melchizedek in Genesis 14. Abram has just rescued Lot and his household from capture (they got caught in a war between rivalling kings), and when he returns, he is greeted by the grateful king of Sodom and a priest. “And King Melchizedek of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was priest of God Most High. He blessed him and said, ‘Blessed be Abram by God Most High, maker of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!’” (Genesis 14:18-20, NRSV) So what does this tell us about what it means to be a priest? First, this priest was also a king. Subsequent priests were not kings, so this double role was unique to...

Esther's protest

I have been hesitant to write anything here pertaining to the student protests in Montreal, partly because I didn't believe I had any solutions to offer and partly because I just wanted to stay out of the controversial mess it has become.  Besides, I have studying to do.  But this weekend, something changed.  I read the book of Esther. First, some background:  the unrest started early in the year when a group of students decided to protest the tuition hikes proposed by the Quebec government ($325 a year for the next 5 years).  Seeing that tuition rates have been frozen for almost ten years, it seemed reasonable to the government to increase them to reflect rising costs.  This did not sit well with some students, and they organised an ongoing protest in which students were encouraged to boycott classes and refuse to hand in assignments.  It has now grown into a movement which has staged several organise...